[Tutor] Commercial or Famous Applicattions.?

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 02:51:48 CET 2010

Hi Jorge,

Have a look at this page:
http://www.python.org/about/quotes/

A few choice points to maybe make him think:
1.) Python is one of the top 3 languages at Google.  (Where is PHP?...)
2.) Python can be used for GUI apps and has bindings for several GUI widget
sets.  (PHP?)
3.) Python can be used for Command line apps (With some work, PHP can be
too, but it's not exactly natural.)
4.) Python can be used for shell type scripts  (OK, so can PHP, but again
it's not really its forte)
5.) Python can be used for text processing and is good at it (e.g. lxml,
Beautiful soup, good regex support, etc. etc... PHP?)
6.) Python can be used for games (as demonstrated by Eve online for example.
50,000 simultaneous players.  PHP? I think not...)
7.) Python can be used for heavy duty number crunching (e.g. Numpy and
friends.  PHP?...)
8.) Python can be used for image manipulation  (e.g. PIL and friends.
PHP?...)
9.) Python easily runs or is available on multiple platforms, including
Windows, Linux, MacOS, as well as other more esoteric platforms, e.g.
Android phones.  (PHP?)
etc. etc...

I think that's enough for now... you get the picture.  (Obviously I'm a bit
biased ;) )

Walter