[Tutor] playing game across internet: suggestions for design?

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Mon May 31 14:38:23 CEST 2010

On 5/31/10, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

> "Alex Hall" <mehgcap at gmail.com> wrote
>
>> I realize that one of us will have to play server and the other
>> client, but the roles nake no difference.
>
> Actually since there are only two players in Battleships you
> could dispense with a server and do a peer to peer game.
>
> Or you could create a single server and both be clients.
When you say 'peer to peer', is this still with Python sockets? It
sounds like what I am looking for! Or, creating a server and both of
us being clients: I have a server (not my own machine, but I rent
space on an iPowerWeb.com server) so I could do this, but I would have
no idea where to start. Sounds like the p2p connection is the best
one.
> There are several ways to architect this.
> You could even make it a web app with cookies to
> record which player is which.
I need a lot of keyboard interaction and popup dialogs with lists and
input controls, and my server does not have Python on it. Good
thought, though; maybe I could strip this one down and port to js...

>> Basically, how might I go about setting up a connection between the
>> two computers? Not at the socket level, but how do I tell his game
>> that mine is ready to start? How do I decide who is server and who
>> is
>> client? Thanks!
>
> If you go for a socket level interaction then you need to
> define your own protocol, or message set. There is a basic
> example of that in my tutorial in the Network Programming
> topic under the AddressBook example.
>
> If the protocol is significant in size - lots of commands - its
> best to define the message strings as constants in a shared
> module that both client and server can read. Python's string
> formatting characters make a useful templating language.
>
> HTH,
>

> --
> Alan Gauld
> Author of the Learn to Program web site