[Tutor] Program_to_catch_changes_in_webpage

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu May 27 09:50:51 CEST 2010

"nikunj badjatya"
<nikunjbadjatya at gmail.com>

> I am actually using a web interface for outlook mails.

> *  It should periodically check for any changes in that webpage .
> *  If their is any, then notification should be sent to user. ( some
> dialog
> pop up, or some sound. )

Is it the standard Outlook Web Access(OWA) tool that
comes with MS Exchange? If so you can adjust your
settings to have both an audible and visual notification
of new mail.

> OS - Linux ( CentOS 5.4)
> Browser - Firefox, Opera

Although that might only work on IE under Windows...
I've never tried on Linux although the basic GUI works OK there.

> So a thought to make a script which will automatically refresh that
> web
> page, and tells to user for any new mails by popping a dialog or
> making a
> sound.

Are you trying to write a script that talks to the web
browser to refresh the page? Or are you looking to monitor
the server? I suspect the second option is easier, but could
make you unpopular with the admin team!

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld