[Tutor] First steps for C++/Qt developers

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Sat May 15 09:03:24 CEST 2010

Hi,

Sorry, I couldn't reply any earlier. Anyways, Alan explained it quite well. I
just wanted to explain why I prefer cherrypy ...

On 05/15/2010 05:21 AM, Alan Gauld wrote:
> "M. Bashir Al-Noimi"<mbnoimi at gmx.com>  wrote
>
>>  >  Although, I personally am a bit biased towards:
>>  >  http://www.cherrypy.org/
>>  In simple words could you give me what's distinguished differences
>>  between cherrypy and django (I didn't stat with django cuz I'm still
>>  python principles)?
>
> They work a little differently and Django gives you lots of extra features
> that CherryPy doesn't - you need extra libraries to get the exta features.
> (Things like a templating engine and onject persistent database access.
> I'm also not sure how much of an admin GUI CherryPy delivers out of
> the box).

That's right, CherryPy is just the web application server, whereas Django is the
entire framework. Cherrypy's lack of a builtin templating system, database
connector or admin interface is a design decision. This is so that you can plug
in whatever components you prefer. For example, you may use
cherrypy+SQLAlchemy+Kid or cherrypy+SQLObject+Genshi ...etc.

> [...snip...]
> One of the good and bad things about Python is that it supports
> many, many, different web tookits from the simplest CGI through to Zope
> and Plone which are enterprise class web frameworks(albeit with very
> different emphases). For most folks the middle ground includes things
> like Pylons, CherryPy and TG and Django.

That's quite right.

> You can do most of what
> most people need with these and they are simpler in practice than either
> raw CGI or the heavyweight tools. So pick one and stick to it.

I disagree here. I personally recommend using something 'lean' like cherrypy
when building a web interface /around/ your application (for instance, a control
panel for a server application, or a XML-RPC+HTTP API for your existing
application) where as using a full blown framework like Django if your
web-application itself is your main application (like a (web2.0) web site).

that said ...

> Like languages
> or GUI toolkits, once you learn one moving to another is relatively painfree.
> Provided it does what you need and has a good support network don't
> stress over it!

+1

hth,
cheers,