[Tutor] application with tabs

Gary Koskenmaki garywk at cableone.net
Fri May 14 19:55:10 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm new to any kind of application development, but have done some
python scripting.

What I'm doing is creating an application for a non-profit social
services organization that will allow them to track the services they
give their clients.

My plan so far was to use tabs for the different functions of the
application such as entering data into the database, viewing data, and
running reports.  I'm running into problems combining tabs with multiple
data fields and buttons.  I can create multiple fields(text boxes) with
wxFrame and wxPanel, but when using wxNotebook to create tabs only the
last text box in each tab shows up.  Say I have 3 text boxes, only the
third one shows up.  If I comment it out the second one shows up.  I
have a very similar problem with buttons.

I have read and experimented with the examples on wxpywiki with no joy.
Using the following example from wxpywiki the text boxes created in the
TabPanel class are shown on every tab.  When moving the text box
creation to the NotebookDemo class, so that I can have different
types/numbers of text boxes on each tab, I run into the problem of
having more than one text field displayed in each tab.

The first code example is the one I'm using.

http://wiki.wxpython.org/Notebooks

Am I going about creating this application interface in the most
difficult way?  Is there a better/easier way to create multiple
application views in the same window?  Can anyone recommend good books,
tutorials, etc...?

I'm doing this on an i386 install of Debian and have python-wxgtk2.8
installed as well as libwxgtk2.8.  The version of python itself is
2.5.5.  All related packages are Debian packages.