[Tutor] First steps for C++/Qt developers

ALAN GAULD alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu May 13 00:45:45 CEST 2010

Forwarded to the list.
Please use Reply All when posting.

 From: Walter Prins <wprins at gmail.com>

To: Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 12 May, 2010 18:36:31
Subject: Re: [Tutor] First steps for C++/Qt developers

Regarding IDE's: I find Eclipse with PyDev pretty good, and it recently gained support for Django specifically, so it's a good fit from that point of view for you.   This of course does not include a form designer, you can choose whatever tool you like there.  As an aside, there's also Delphi RAD'esque tool called "Boa constructor" which aims to be a RAD IDE with forms designer for Python.  Not sure how active the project is etc, but maybe worth a look.

As for Pyjamas, I don't know enough about it to answer if and how it may be used together with Django, although I can't see any fundamental reasons why that should not be possible.   But, perhaps it's an idea for you to just develop some feel for Python itself first, writing some things from scratch, and once you've got a bit of a Python foundation you can have a look at Pyjamas etc.

Walter