[Tutor] First steps for C++/Qt developers

spir ☣ denis.spir at gmail.com
Wed May 12 13:25:01 CEST 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010 13:09:05 +0200
"M. Bashir Al-Noimi" <mbnoimi at gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is my first post and I want to set a plan for learning python
> syntax within 2 weeks.
>
> I'm C++/Qt desktop developer and I want to learn python for creating
> rapid web applications so I read some articles about that and I found
> that django is suitable framework -I guess- but I still need some info
> to complete my plan then applying it.

Just a few comments:

>    1.  From where I can start python by examples for C++ developers (I
>       don't want documentation tutorials cuz I need simple tutorials
>       compares between C++ & python syntax just at start point)?

Depending on what you really mean with these words, it may be a wrong approach, imho. Learning a new language is not just a question of catching syntactic patterns, not even if you properly get associated semantics. It's rather a question of developping a new way of watching topics or problems, and thus modelling & designing differently. Else, what you end up with is "charabia", like if translating form arab to chinese word-for-word ;-)
This is especially important when passing from a static to a dynamic language. Dynamicity opens new doors to modelling practice fields. Or rather: when using a static language these doors are closed...

>    7. Does the period of 2 week enough for learning python syntax &
>       basics of web developing?

See note above.

>    8. Does any one tested an experience just like me (learning a new
>       language within short period could be crazy ;-) )?

Ditto. And yes, when I started with python intensively for a period, I used its OO framework like if it were static! It took me a rather long time to realise I had wrong mental schemes, barriers infact. (Actually, for a while, when watching properly written dynamic code, I even thought it was wrong & ugly & tricky stuff. instead I had a cube of concrete where there should be a brain.)
But dynamicity is not the only point. Even rather similar languages like eg Python & Ruby & Lua develop different programming approaches, styles and flavors.

denis