[Tutor] python magazine

Lowell Tackett lowelltackett at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 14:57:06 CEST 2010

>From the virtual desk of Lowell Tackett

> From: Lowell Tackett <lowelltackett at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tutor] python magazine
> To: "Dave Angel" <davea at ieee.org>
> Cc: "Benno Lang" <transmogribenno at gmail.com>, tutor at python.org
> Date: Sunday, March 28, 2010, 7:46 AM
>
> From the virtual desk of Lowell Tackett

> > From: Dave Angel <davea at ieee.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Tutor] python magazine
> > To: "Lowell Tackett" <lowelltackett at yahoo.com>
> > Cc: "Benno Lang" <transmogribenno at gmail.com>,
> > Date: Saturday, March 27, 2010, 6:12 AM

> > > From: Benno Lang <transmogribenno at gmail.com>
> > > Subject: Re: [Tutor] python magazine
> > > To: "Lowell Tackett" <lowelltackett at yahoo.com>
> > > Cc: tutor at python.org,
> > "Bala subramanian" <bala.biophysics at gmail.com>
> > > Date: Friday, March 26, 2010, 8:38 PM

> Twitter
> > site--which includes a perhaps [telling] misspelling.
> > >>
> > > Obviously that's why they're looking for a chief
> > editor - maybe it's
> > > even a deliberate ploy.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if this affects others, but to me
> your
> > replies appear
> > > inside the quoted section of your mail, rather
> than
> > beneath it. Would
> > > you mind writing plain text emails to avoid this
> > issue?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > benno
> > >
> > > Like this...?
> > >

> > No, there's still a problem.  You'll notice in
> this
> > message that there are ">" symbols in front of your
> lines
> > and benno's, and ">>" symbols in front of
> > Lowell's.  (Some email readers will turn the >
> into
> > vertical bar, but the effect is the same).  Your
> email
> > program should be adding those upon a reply, so that
> your
> > own message has one less > than the one to which
> you're
> > replying.  Then everyone reading can see who
> wrote
> > what, based on how many ">" or bars precede the
> > respective lines.  Quotes from older messages
> have more
> > of them.
> >
> > Are you using "Reply-All" in your email program?
> Or
> > are you constructing a new message with copy/paste?
> >
> > What email are you using?  Maybe it's a
> configuration
> > setting somebody could help with.
> >
> > DaveA
> >

> Don't really know what I'm doing wrong (or right).
> Just using the [email] tools that have been made available
> to me thru Yahoo mail and Firefox.  I began this text
> below your submission and "signature", and I'm using plain
> text, as suggested by a previous comment.  Don't know
> what else I could embellish this effort with.

I noticed one other thing in my response (having noticed it also in someone else's recent correspondence).
Apparently...my email package does not create its' own eol signals.  In contrast, your (Dave Angel) message holds the same eol format as it did in the copy that came to my mail box.  My messages however, stretch [each line] out to the full width of the available physical page format (to which they are submitted).  For what it's worth, I am typing this in the "Plain Text" option of my email template.

Gmane handles that predicament very gracefully, but over in "The Tutor Archives", my [message] lines sometime stretch [from my computer screen] halfway out into my kitchen.  Occasionally, I will see that occur with others' emailed offerings.  It's beyond me[?].

It's all the fault of Yahoo mail and Firefox...I'm just an innocent bystander in all of this.