[Tutor] Introduction to modelling with Python

AG computing.account at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 28 19:37:41 CEST 2010

Eike Welk wrote:
> On Saturday March 27 2010 16:21:26 AG wrote:
>
>> I apologise in advance for the vagueness of this query, but I am looking
>> for a decent modern introduction to modelling using Python.
>> Specifically, I want something that is a good introduction (i.e. doesn't
>> expect one to already be a maths/ statistics or a programming guru) and
>> that has an ecology/ environmental science orientation.
>>

> You should look at the book "Python Scripting for Computational Science" by
> Hans Petter Langtangen:
> http://www.amazon.com/Python-Scripting-Computational-Science-
> Engineering/dp/3540435085
> http://books.google.com/books?id=YEoiYr4H2A0C&printsec=frontcover&dq="Python+Scripting+for+Computational+Science"&source=bl&ots=ovp_JKREiY&sig=tJkigCLDqS6voOOjmL4xDxw0roM&hl=en&ei=OlWvS8PmE4r94Aa42vzgDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBEQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=&f=false
>
> It is an introduction to the Python language, and to a big number of tools for
> numerical computations. The book assumes that you have already some practice
> in writing computer programs.
>
> The book is not oriented towards ecology, the examples are from mechanical
> engineering.
>
> The book is however a bit dated, it's from 2004. Therefore many examples will
> need to be slightly altered to work with the current versions of the libraries
> that they use.
>

> Alternatively you could ask your question on the Numpy/Scipy mailing lists.
> These lists are frequented by scientists that use Python for their
> computations.
> http://www.scipy.org/Mailing_Lists
>

> Eike.

Now that's looking very much along the lines of what I had in mind
Eike.  Very pricey ... might have to sit on that one for a while and
scout around for a used copy.  I can certainly use the on-line resource
for as many pages as it allows one to access until I either find a
cheaper version or perhaps win a lottery!!

But, yep, this looks like what I had in mind - so anything else like
this would be good as well.

Cheers

AG