[Tutor] Introduction to modelling with Python

AG computing.account at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 28 11:26:43 CEST 2010

Modulok wrote:
> Could you further define 'modeling' in context?
>
> Are you referring to using python in the context of 3D modeling, i.e.
> computer aided design? If that be the case, python serves as an
> embedded language for many 3D computer graphics programs. Everything
> from Maya to Houdini use it as a command interface to automate things.
> See the developer's documentation for whatever software you're using.
>
> What kind of modeling?
> -Modulok-
>
> On 3/27/10, AG <computing.account at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi List
>>
>> I apologise in advance for the vagueness of this query, but I am looking
>> for a decent modern introduction to modelling using Python.
>> Specifically, I want something that is a good introduction (i.e. doesn't
>> expect one to already be a maths/ statistics or a programming guru) and
>> that has an ecology/ environmental science orientation.  The latter is
>> desirable but not essential, as I suspect that once one understands the
>> process of data abstraction and the other steps involved in modelling
>> processes and scenarios, the thinking and skill sets are likely
>> transferable.  However, if my assumption about this is incorrect, please
>> let me know.
>>
>> If anyone knows of any resource (book or on-line) with a Python bent,
>> please let me know.  I am preparing to begin applications to Ph.D.
>> programs and most of what I am interested in doing requires some
>> knowledge of modelling and Python also seems to be widely accepted as a
>> programming language, so I am happy with that as I am in the process of
>> teaching myself Python anyway.
>>
>> Thanks for any help, advice, etc.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> AG

Modulok

The modelling I was referring to is not about 3-D design, but about
scenario modelling.  For example, to understand the impacts of climate
change on particular bodies of water, given different circumstances
(e.g. x% of rain in the preceding year, or prevailing winds, or y number
of herd animals using the water resource, and/ or upstream engineering
developments, etc.), the idea would be to (a) identify those aspects
most relevant and least relevant and (b) to programme those elements
according to certain parameters of fluctuation (perhaps OOP might be
useful here), and then (c) to manipulate those values according to
different scenarios.  These manipulations can then be replayed any
number of times (e.g. a Monte Carlo treatment) to obtain their
statistical average and probabilities.

The foregoing is possibly not the most elegant example, but hopefully
gives you a clearer idea of what I was asking about.

Thanks for your interest.

AG