[Tutor] Introduction to modelling with Python

AG computing.account at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 27 16:21:26 CET 2010

Hi List

I apologise in advance for the vagueness of this query, but I am looking
for a decent modern introduction to modelling using Python.
Specifically, I want something that is a good introduction (i.e. doesn't
expect one to already be a maths/ statistics or a programming guru) and
that has an ecology/ environmental science orientation.  The latter is
desirable but not essential, as I suspect that once one understands the
process of data abstraction and the other steps involved in modelling
processes and scenarios, the thinking and skill sets are likely
transferable.  However, if my assumption about this is incorrect, please
let me know.

If anyone knows of any resource (book or on-line) with a Python bent,
please let me know.  I am preparing to begin applications to Ph.D.
programs and most of what I am interested in doing requires some
knowledge of modelling and Python also seems to be widely accepted as a
programming language, so I am happy with that as I am in the process of
teaching myself Python anyway.

Thanks for any help, advice, etc.

Cheers

AG