[Tutor] First program

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Sat Mar 13 18:52:04 CET 2010

Alan Gauld wrote:
> "Ray Parrish" <crp at cmc.net> wrote
>>>     print "A %s with dimensions %sx%s has an area of %s." % (choice,
>>> height, width, width*height)
>>>
>> Isn't it a little more understandable to use a construct like the
>> following?

>> str(Height) + " equals " + str(Width * Height) + " square feet"
>
> It depends on where you come from.
> Those of us brought up on C or COBOL are used to separating the
> presentation from the data. Those brought up with PASCAL and BASIC are
> used to iterleaving data with presentation.
>
> One thing - you don't need all the str() calls in your example, print
> already calls str() for you. Also comma separators are better than +
> signs since the plus operation on strings is quite expensive - you
> create a new string for each addition.
>
> HTH,
Thanks for the tips. If I understand you correctly I can do the call
this way? -

     print "The area of ", Choice, " is ", Width, " x ", Height, "
equals ", (Width * Height), " square feet"

That eliminates the redundancy, and is quite readable to me. I like it. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html