[Tutor] Encoding

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Mon Mar 8 03:51:43 CET 2010

Giorgio wrote:
> 2010/3/7 Dave Angel <davea at ieee.org>
>

>> Those two lines don't make any sense by themselves.  Show us some context,
>> and we can more sensibly comment on them.  And try not to use names that
>> hide built-in keywords, or Python stdlib names.
>>

> Hi Dave,
>
> I'm considering Amazon SimpleDB as an alternative to PGSQL, but i need to
> store blobs.
>
> Amazon's FAQs says that:
>
> "Q: What kind of data can I store?
> You can store any UTF-8 string data in Amazon SimpleDB. Please refer
> to the Amazon
> Web Services Customer Agreement <http://aws.amazon.com/agreement> for
> details."
>
> This is the problem. Any idea?
>

>> DaveA
>>

> Giorgio

You still didn't provide the full context.  Are you trying to do store
binary data, or not?

Assuming you are, you could do the UUENCODE suggestion I made.  Or use
base64:

base64.encodestring(/s/)   wlll turn binary data into (larger) binary
data, also considered a string.  The latter is ASCII, so it's irrelevant
whether it's considered utf-8 or otherwise.  You store the resulting
string in your database, and use  base64.decodestring(s) to reconstruct
your original.

There's 50 other ways, some more efficient, but this may be the simplest.

DaveA