[Tutor] Over-riding radians as default for trig calculations

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 13:45:10 CET 2010

On 03/01/10 06:39, AG wrote:
> After importing the math module and running
>
> math.cos( x )
>
> the result is in radians.
>
> Is there a way of setting this so that it results in degrees?  I don't
> want to over-ride this permanently for my Python settings, so am happy
> to specifically do it per equation or per program.

I'd recommend you to get used to using radian measurement; though it may
initially looks unfamiliar, working in radian (with computer or by-hand)
is much more natural once you get used to it. Many formulaes become
simpler when using radian while some are only valid in radian.

The only reasonable point where you should convert from and between
radians is when requesting input from non-mathematician users.