[Tutor] OT: need computer advice from wise Tutors

Richard D. Moores rdmoores at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 19:07:47 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 07:41, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Marc Tompkins" <marc.tompkins at gmail.com> wrote

> I will miss OE. I actually quite like it, its simple but has all the bits
> I need for both email and newrgroups. I tried thunderbird and use it
> on my Linux box but on windows I usually revert to OE.
>
> And its lots better than webmail which is only useful for occasional
> browsing. But I get around 200 plus emails a day (and sometimes the
> same again in news messages) and trying to manage that on webmail
> is a nightmare - and you can't read it while offline. I really need an
> offline mail client.

I get 200-300 emails per weekday, and Gmail handles them with aplomb.
I have over 300 labels (it's now, finally, possible to nest them).
(Tip: use [(From:address) OR (From:me AND ((To: OR Cc:)address))] --
delete the square brackets -- in the "Has the words" textbox when
making a filter that will apply to all mail from yourself to: or cc'd
to an address OR from an address). Labels can be nested and color
coded. Be sure to check out the numerous other features, including the
ones on the "Labs" tab. BTW I used Eudora for a decade, and also OE
because I had to teach it to my wife. A "feature" very important to me
is that with Gmail, my mail is just always THERE, with no need to
download it -- and often INSTANTLY there because there are so many
other Gmail users. I'll stop my praise of Gmail here because this is
an OT of an OT thread :) .

Dick