[Tutor] OT: need computer advice from wise Tutors

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Jun 27 01:46:08 CEST 2010

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 04:55:13 am Sithembewena Lloyd Dube wrote:
> Richard, I think you may go ahead without trepidation. I am not a
> Windows fan at all, I prefer Ubuntu. But I started using Win. 7 at
> work about a month ago, and I have to say it hasn't given me cause to
> grumble.

I don't think Richard is asking whether Windows 7 is worth using. I
think he's asking, is it painful to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.

> Of course, a month is hardly sufficient time to have a strong
> opinion, but I can tell you that it works just fine.

Apart from:

having no default email client (what sort of two-bit operating system
doesn't have an email client in 2010?);

the automatic upgrades that run silently in the background with no easy
way to turn them on or off (always fun when your Internet download cap
is completely used up TWO DAYS into the month -- especially when you
don't know because you can't read the email from your ISP due to not
having an email client, and you can't download one because all the
available bandwidth is being consumed by the updates);

the gratuitous UI changes (am I missing something, or does Internet
Explorer no longer have a menubar?);

the use of third-party applications like Adobe Acrobat Reader which have
become overloaded with *stupid* security vulnerabilities *by design*
(years after Microsoft themselves got burnt, time and time again, by
allowing the web-browser and mail client to execute random code found
on the internet, somebody at Adobe apparently thought it would be a
good idea for the PDF reader to do the same thing *facepalms*); and

consequently the proliferation of adware and spyware (even
the "legitimate" anti-malware companies fill your browser with ad-laden
toolbars and try terrifying the user with "your computer is
unprotected" warnings -- no wonder the average user can't tell the
difference between legitimate anti-malware and trojan horses).

On the other hand, it is quite pretty.

(Yes, I am speaking from experience. Everything I have mentioned I have
seen with my own eyes.)

--
Steven D'Aprano