[Tutor] OT: need computer advice from wise Tutors

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 00:04:11 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Richard D. Moores <rdmoores at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 13:39, Sithembewena Lloyd Dube
> <zebra05 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Dick,
> >
> > In that case, perhaps you could externally back up all your important
> stuff
> > and then format your hard disk. That way, any drivers etc intended for
> > Windows Vista will be wiped off, and you can then perform a clean
> > installation from your disk. Now, as far as upgrade disks go, I do not
> know
> > whether it will work as a "clean installation" disk, or whether it is
> only
> > meant for use on an existing windows installation (hence the name
> > "upgrade"). You might want to check that out first.
>
> I don't believe the disk I have will enable a clean installation.

I'm pretty sure it will:
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/27/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

The upshot of both those articles is: boot from the upgrade disk as if it
were a normal Full Install disk; when it asks for the Windows key, leave it
blank.  Don't enter the key until after the installation is complete, when
you want to activate.

Since you CAN use that disk as a clean install, I definitely recommend that
you DO.  When I upgraded my laptop to Windows 7, I bought myself a new 500GB
hard drive for the purpose.  $60 and five minutes with a small screwdriver
brought me a huge dividend in peace of mind.

--
www.fsrtechnologies.com