[Tutor] OT: need computer advice from wise Tutors

Richard D. Moores rdmoores at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 09:00:16 CEST 2010

Sorry about the OT, but I'm really nervous about the possibility of
screwing up my laptop by upgrading the OS from Vista to 7, and can't
think of a better place than Tutors to ask for advice.

I bought this Toshiba Satellite last October. It came with the right
to receive the upgrade CD for Windows 7 when it became available. I
think I finally got the disk in February, but by that time I'd gotten
used to Vista, and Vista was then, as now, in SP2 (64-bit). By that
time a generally computer-savvy friend (but who runs linux) was
telling me to not do the upgrade because I'd end up with problems with
7 and also with a lot of the software I had already installed.

Then recently I've talked to a couple of guys (separately) in 2 Office
Depots near Seattle who both told me that the Vista -> 7 upgrade
should go without any trouble at all. That I should do the upgrade,
then immediately download and install all the updates for 7 that MS
has issued. Both used used to do such upgrades for customers for a fee
($40), but not anymore. So they didn't have anything to sell me -- I
think they were being honest about their experience.

Has anyone here done the upgrade I'm considering, or know of anyone
who has? Any advice or anecdotes for me?

Thanks,

Dick Moores