[Tutor] Confirm that Python 2.6 ftplib does not support Unicode file names? Alternatives?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Wed Jun 23 18:10:45 CEST 2010

Can someone confirm that Python 2.6 ftplib does *NOT* support
Unicode file names? Or must Unicode file names be specially
encoded in order to be used with the ftplib module?

The following email exchange seems to support my conclusion that
the ftplib module only supports ASCII file names.

Should ftplib use UTF-8 instead of latin-1 encoding?
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-January/085408.html

Any recommendations on a 3rd party Python module that supports
Unicode file names? I've googled this question without success[1],
[2].

The official Python documentation does not mention Unicode file
names[3].

Thank you,
Malcolm

[1] ftputil wraps ftplib and inherits ftplib's apparent ASCII only
support.

[2] Paramiko's SFTP library does support Unicode file names,
however I'm looking specifically for ftp (vs. sftp) support
relative to our current project.

[3] http://docs.python.org/library/ftplib.html