[Tutor] Structuring a class

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 15 09:44:15 CEST 2010

"Lang Hurst" <lang at tharin.com> wrote

> I'm trying to figure out how to deal with data which will look
> something like:
>
>    Student:Bob Hurley
>    Credits:
>       Algebra C (20P)
>             Chapter 1
>             Chapter 2
>       Consumer Math (24G)
>             Module 2
>
> So, I just figured that I would have a couple of nested
> dictionaries.

Or 3 classes: Student, Credit, Module

But classses will be most useful if you are doing a lot of
interaction between the students or calculations based on the credits.

As Bob suggested, if you mainly just want to add/delete/modify
and report on the data a database is a better bet.

You mght still create a Student class to structure the data
coming back from the database but the other classes will
probably be overkill and your double dict will be as effective.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site