[Tutor] playing game across internet: suggestions for design?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 1 09:31:03 CEST 2010

"Alex Hall" <mehgcap at gmail.com> wrote

>> Actually since there are only two players in Battleships you
>> could dispense with a server and do a peer to peer game.
> When you say 'peer to peer', is this still with Python sockets? It
> sounds like what I am looking for!

Yes, it just means both participants use the same program - no
need for separate client/server versions and both listen for and
send messages to the other. Each acts as a server for the other
if you like. The trickiest bit is to establish the initial setup,
you usually need to do a bit of polling until you get connected
(because unlike with a server you can't assume the other
end is ready when you start).

> Or, creating a server and both of us being clients: I have a
> server (not my own machine, but I rent space on an
> iPowerWeb.com server) so I could do this,

But your server would need to have Python installed which
you say later it doesn't...

>> You could even make it a web app with cookies to
>> record which player is which.
> I need a lot of keyboard interaction and popup dialogs with lists
> and
> input controls, and my server does not have Python on it. Good
> thought, though; maybe I could strip this one down and port to js...

The screen interactiion would be javascript but the main data
manipulation - keepuing the state/score etc - would be on
the server.

HTH,

Alan G.