[Tutor] Writing scripts and apps for Internet consumption

David Hutto smokefloat at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 20:56:33 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Eric Hamiter <ehamiter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Get a linux hosting account, and a web address, most linux hosting
>> comes with python, so practice in the 'cloud'.
>
> I have that-- an account with Dreamhost. This hasn't solved my problems yet
> though. Like I said, I can have it write a simple
>
> Hello, World!
>
> ...but if I make it do anything more complex, I get a 404 error. To make my
> question more simple-- how does one learn to create web apps with Python? It
> seems to be that what it is advertised as, but not at all ready to go "out
> of the box" for that type of thing. And that is fine, but I want to learn
> how without having to learn a framework like Django-- yet. Or is this just
> considered a kind of necessity?

What do your server logs show the 404 error to be?
Debug it like a script. For me, it's the part about use your own
computer as a host(I'm working on that) that gets me, but a hosting
account is already set up, as opposed to using your own local host
setup, this is provided. So it's just using the html with python just
like with php. I'm not an expert at this, but I do have a little
experience with lamp, so python should just be a replacement of p in
lamp for pythin instead of php