[Tutor] A file containing a string of 1 billion random digits.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 19 01:11:04 CEST 2010

"Richard D. Moores" <rdmoores at gmail.com> wrote

>>> I earlier reported that my laptop couldn't handle even 800
>>> million.
>>
>> What do you mean, "couldn't handle"? Couldn't handle 800 million of
>> what? Obviously not bytes,
>
> I meant what the context implied. Bytes. Look back in this thread to
> see my description of my laptop's problems.

But you stored those in a list and then joined the list which meant
you
actually at one point had two copies of the data, one in the list and
one in the string - that's >1.6billion bytes.

And these tests suuggest you only get about 2billion bytes of memory
to use which maybe explains why you were pushed to the limit at
800million.

HTH,

Alan G.