[Tutor] A file containing a string of 1 billion random digits.

Richard D. Moores rdmoores at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 14:01:56 CEST 2010

That's the goal of the latest version of my script at
<http://tutoree7.pastebin.com/5XYaaNfp>. The best I've been able to do
so far is a file with 800 million digits.

But it seems the writing of 800 million digits is the limit for the
amount of memory my laptop has (4 GB). So my question is, how can I do
this differently? I'm pretty brand new to opening and writing files.
Here, I can't write many shorter lines, because the end result I seek
is one long string. But am I correct?

I'd appreciate any advice.

BTW line 29 was added after getting the outputs noted at the bottom of
the script. Using close() does seem to shorten the time it takes for
my laptop to become usable again, but it's not decisive. Sometimes I
have to reboot in order to get healthy again. (64-bit Vista).

BTW2 It's probably not obvious why the list comprehension (line 19)
has random.choice(d) where d is '0123456789'. Without that, the random
ints of 1000 digits would never begin with a '0'. So I give them a
chance to by prefixing one random digit using choice(d), and cutting
the length of the rest from 1000 to 999.

Dick