[Tutor] Path?

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Jul 13 15:43:40 CEST 2010

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

My apologizes to Steven and the list, when I replied originally I messed
up and sent it to him privately which was not my intention.

 > On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 03:42:28 am Jim Byrnes wrote:
 >> I am running Ubuntu.  I downloaded the source code examples for a
 >> book I purchased.  Some of the examples load image files located in
 >> the same directory as the program.  If I go to the current directory
 >> in the terminal the program can use the image files.  However, if I
 >> use a launcher or the filemanager it pops up an error dialog saying
 >> the file does not exist even though it is in the same directory.
 >>
 >> The program simply uses the files name.  Is there a way without
 >> editing the source and inserting the full path to run the program
 >> from a launcher or the filemanager and allow it to see files in the
 >> current directory?
 >
 > What file manager are you using? Nautilus? Konqueror? Something else?

Nautilus. I have it configured to run files with the extension .py when
they are double clicked.

 > What do you mean, "use a launcher"? Use a launcher to do what? What sort
 > of launcher?

It runs programs and sits on the panel at the top of my Ubuntu desktop.
  The command it uses is usr/bin/python2.6.  These are wxPython examples
I am working with.

 > What pops up an error dialog? The launcher?

I am assuming Python. The title bar of the dialog says Python2 Error,
the message is   Can't load image from file 'wxPython.jpg': file does
not exist.

 > Which file does it claim doesn't exist? Python? The Python script? The
 > image file? What is the exact error message it gives?

See above.  The line that triggers the error is:  image =
wx.Image('wxPython.jpg', wx.BITMAP_TYPE_JPEG)

 > There's probably a way to tell the launcher which working directory to
 > use, but of course that depends on the answers to the above questions.

If I use the terminal to start the program it has no problem using the
file.  There are multiple files in multiple directories so I was looking
for a way to just double click them and have them run.  If it turns out
that I must make changes to or for each of the files it will be easier
to just keep using the terminal.  I've only been using Ubuntu for a few
months so I was surprised that the program could not see a file that is
in the same directory.

Regards,  Jim