[Tutor] newbie to gui programming

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 6 20:48:53 CEST 2010

"Payal" <payal-python at scriptkitchen.com> wrote

> gui programming? There seems to be many ways to do gui programming
> in
> Python namely wxpython, tkinter, gtk, qt etc. Which is the easiest

There are many toolkits but these have as many similarities as
differences.
But none of them will be easy to learn if you have not done GUI work
before because GUI programming is a whole new style and that's what
takes the time. Once you learn one framework picking up another is
not that hard - just a lot of new API names to learn!

> nice looking one and works on both windows and Linux?

Nowadays they are all acceptable looking but wxPython would
be my recommendation, mainly for its support for printing, which
sounds easy but in Guis is surprisingly difficult. wxPython makes
it about as easy as it can be.

Don't underestimate the learning curve and use the toolset as much
as possible, also look at things like plotting libraries if you need
display graphs etc.

You can compare very simple GUIs in Tkinter and wxPython
in the GUI topic of my tutor, and a slightly more complex
GUI in the Case Study topic.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld