[Tutor] Hooray! I finished the 'Learning Python for absolute beginners'

Tim Goddard timgoddardsemail at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 21:22:40 CET 2010

Ok, it's not a big deal, but once I learned enough I went off on a few
tangents to create programs of my own design.  Since I had to return
the book to the public library, I finally got back to finishing the
last chapter.  Since the book is not current, I took the time to
decipher the differences and eventually figured out the final project
creating an asteroids game using the latest livewires.  I would
eventually like to use pygame, but for now I'm content that it works.

I know there have been some questions in the past about errors, so
this is simply being submitted as a placemarker for those working
through the same book.

I'm really glad I decided to learn Python!

I also figured out how to configure Eclipse IDE to recognize modules.
Apparently in the preferences for each 'project' is a separate
PYTHONPATH.. which is not to be confused with sys.path.  Adding the
appropriate folders to the preferences allows the user to browse
through a module i.e.

after writing:
'from livewires import games'

typing:
'games.'  yields a drop down menu of all methods etc.... very
convenient when trying to follow older tutorials of older packages.