[Tutor] Encryption

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Feb 23 00:10:31 CET 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:50:12 am Antonio Buzzelli wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> I need a simple way to encrypt and decrypt some strings with a key
>
> someone can help me??
>
> Thanks.

I am the author of this package which might be enough for you:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/obfuscate/

If all you want is to "hide" some text from casual snoopers (say, to
hide strings in a game so that people can't just open the game in a hex
editor and read the game messages) then obfuscate may be enough.

I can't emphasis this enough: the encryption algorithms in obfuscate are
not up to modern standards and are NOT cryptographically secure. Do not
use this where serious security is required.

Otherwise, google for "python encryption". You might also like to ask on
the Python newsgroup comp.lang.python for advice.

--
Steven D'Aprano