[Tutor] Using Python with a Mac

Monte Milanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 19:22:53 CET 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Marco Rompré <marcodrompre at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone, I would like to know how to use python with a mac.
>
> For now, I go to spotlight, open terminal then type IDLE and a window pops
> up but its like the window that opens when you run your programs already
> saved and I'm not able to open another window to write a script from
> scratch.

By default IDLE seems to open up a python interpreter window (regardless of
platform).  If you hit Apple-N to open a 'New' window, or select the
equivalent command from the menu, it will open a new window for entering a
script; from there you can perform various actions (save, run, debug, etc.)

If you click on 'Python' to the left of 'File' and select 'Preferences' and
then pick the 'General' tab you can opt to have IDLE open up with an editor
window instead of an interpreter window the next time you start.

HTH,

Monte