[Tutor] Wrestling with the Py2exe Install, Win7[XP!], Py2.5

Robert Berman bermanrl at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 17 19:26:45 CET 2010

Hi Wayne,

A few observations as I do this on Win 7 and it does work. The first thing you
need to do is follow the tutorial that you should get at the web page found in
the README file. If not, here it is: http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial

That will get you started. Now, if everything went reasonably well, you will
find two folders in the folder where you ran py2exe called build and dist.
Ignore build. In dist you will find the exe file and all the files necessary
to run your program.....gasp.....sort of. There is a caveat. Sometimes you
don't get all the necessary DLL's. If you are in that situation py2exe should
have printed the files you still need to track down and include with your
install.

Now, I gave you all this information as background because we  all know that
really good programmers like mental and emotional pain. Well, perhaps some do.
I like the easy but good way when available.  Let me tell you what I use
because it takes a lot of the drudgery out of the process. Go to
http://code.google.com/p/gui2exe/ and download gui2exe. It will automate much
of the process and it seems to do a great job of finding all the necessary
files including the DLL's hidden from py2exe.

I hope this helps. It is a good concept and good software.

Robert Berman