[Tutor] Choice of Python

Jeff Johnson jeff at dcsoftware.com
Tue Dec 28 21:06:54 CET 2010

On 12/28/2010 12:48 PM, Marc Tompkins wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM, <python at bdurham.com
> <mailto:python at bdurham.com>> wrote:
>
>     Most of the hosting companies I've investigated support older
>     versions of Python and only support CGI access.
>
> Ah yes - that's what it was.  To use Django (or most other frameworks)
> you need some processes to be running more or less constantly, as
> opposed to in a CGI context.  Your typical shared Webhosting service
> is sharing a single machine or VM with lots of other customers; they
> can't allow long-running processes or the whole thing would grind to a
> halt.  I have no idea how Webfaction manages it, especially with a
> starting price of $5.50/month - it's very tempting...
>
> For the time being I'm not looking to move any sites over - but if the
> need arises again, Webfaction will be the first place I check out.
>
> Actually, my own website is a few years overdue for a facelift - maybe
> I'll dump Joomla for Django.  Perhaps then I'd actually be interested
> enough to maintain the damn thing.
>
> --
> www.fsrtechnologies.com <http://www.fsrtechnologies.com>

Webfaction supports long processes and that is why they are the largest
Django hosting site.  They support a ton of software, too.  SVN, Trac
are two I use.

I've been with them at least 3 years and I find their cost amazing for
what I get!  Their documentation, support and forums are about the best
I've seen.

Jeff

Jeff Johnson
jeff at dcsoftware.com