[Tutor] vim as a python editor

Brett Ritter swiftone at swiftone.org
Wed Dec 22 16:36:14 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I also use split screen view in vim so that within vim I often have
> two or three buffers open at once all displayed in a split screen.

I know you prefer "default" settings, but one mapping I tend to stick
in my .vimrcs whereever I go:

nmap <tab> <C-w>w<C-w>_

Which moves to the next screen and maximizes it.  <C-W>= will return
to the equally distributed split screens.  When coding an AJAX app,
for example, I'll often have the HTML, the JS, the CSS, and the Python
service, and the tests all up at once.

I also use "screen" a lot because I'm often working on remote machines
without X involved, plus it lets me bounce between shell (docs, git,
etc) and editing easily with the added benefit of not having to worry
about communication disruption (local power outage, etc) killing my
work in progress.  Often once I get an environment perfectly tailored
(yay for virtualenv) I'll have a screen session manage the entire
thing until the project is done, just reconnecting to it when I'm
working on it.  I highly recommend both screen and virtualenv to
anyone that is unfamiliar with them.

--
Brett Ritter / SwiftOne
swiftone at swiftone.org