[Tutor] Trying to parse a HUGE(1gb) xml file in python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 21 10:58:34 CET 2010

"David Hutto" <smokefloat at gmail.com> wrote

>> I sympathize with you. I wonder who thought that building a 1GB XML
>> file
>> was a good thing.

> that was just the first listing:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=parsing+gigabyte+xml+python&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Eeek! One of the listings says:

> 22 Jan 2009 ... Stripping Illegal Characters from XML in Python >>
... I'd be asking Python to process 6.4 gigabytes of CSV into
6.5 gigabytes of XML 1. ..... In fact, what happened was that
the parsing didn't work and the whole db was ...

And I thought a 1G file was extreme... Do these people stop to think
that
with XML as much as 80% of their "data" is just description (ie the
tags).

Alan G.