[Tutor] Problem with "yaml load"

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 18:08:16 CET 2010

Hi folks:

I'm trying to define a short function that will import yaml data into
a python dictionary.  I am able to do this by dumping my data into a
temporary file and then importing it with yaml.load.  I would like to
see if I can eliminate the temporary file and import the data
directly.

This works fine:

import yaml
import os

def grabfacts():
    ''' This function grabs facter data and sucks it into a dictionary
    called dataMap '''
    os.system('facter --yaml > /tmp/sysdata.yaml')
    f = open('/tmp/sysdata.yaml')
    dataMap = yaml.load(f)
    f.close()

Is there an easy way to do this without writing to a temporary file?