[Tutor] a print puzzle

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 21:46:04 CET 2010

On 12/2/2010 2:09 PM, Richard D. Moores wrote:

[snip]

> I found nothing that helped as much as you have already.

In the reference (for 2.6.2) under print statement I find:

"print evaluates each expression in turn and writes the resulting object
to standard output (see below). If an object is not a string, it is
first converted to a string using the rules for string conversions.

This leaves the reader pondering "rules for string conversions". I
wonder whether this is defined and why it was not cross-referenced here.

In the reference (for 3.1.3) under print function I find:

"All non-keyword arguments are converted to strings like str() does"

Under str() I find:

"returns its nicely printable representation."

OK but still kinda vague.

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239