[Tutor] Pyserial and invalid handle

John Smith jocjo.s at verizon.net
Wed Dec 1 02:52:40 CET 2010

On 11/30/2010 7:27 PM, Adam Bark wrote:
> On 01/12/10 01:00, John Smith wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Walter -
>>
>> I got pywin32-214.win32-py2.7.exe because I have the Intel i7 (I'm
>> guessing that the AMD versions are for the AMD processor). However,
>> all of the exe offerings have the same "Python not found in registry"
>> problem that started this whole thing.
>>
>> So, since the only source module available is pywin32-214.zip, I got
>> it and installed it. It does not work, maybe because I'm using Python
>> 2.7 and the zip is for 3.2.
>>
>> I really appreciate all the time you have put into my problems,
>> Walter. Thank you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> John
>>

> Actually, AMD 64 is now the standard x86-64. It was originally designed
> by AMD because intel were making their Itanium thing but that didn't go
> so well. Anyway if you're running 64 bit windows that's probably why the
> 32-bit python install is having a problem. Download the version Walter
> suggested and you should be good to go.

Yes!

I have gone no farther than to say ser.read() knowing that nothing is
attached to the port and expected a delay of 5 seconds. It now does
that, so I have a clue that it is working.

I had no idea that the AMD thing was now standard. Thanks for that. I
also found that the file Walter recommended did install from the exe
while the non-AMD file did not due to the registry thing.

Wow! All I can say is thanks to everybody for the help. Now I need to
start trying to get a modem to talk to me.

By the way, the whole purpose of doing this is to communicate with some
test instruments via GPIB/HPIB to automate some testing that is time
consuming. The last time I did this (using a BASIC program), it took
about 45 minutes (not due to BASIC, but due to instrument response
time). I was able to start the test, go to lunch, then analyze the data
when I returned.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,
John