[Tutor] Pyserial and invalid handle

John Smith jocjo.s at verizon.net
Wed Dec 1 02:00:58 CET 2010

On 11/30/2010 6:23 PM, Walter Prins wrote:
> Hello John,
(snip)
> Apparently so.  Well, win32file is part of the PyWin32 package, which
> are a set of modules that wrap many Windows API's.   I'm not sure why it
> was't/isn't required for PySerial 2.5 or whether as you say perhaps this
> module is included in PySerial2.5 and isn't in 2.4.
>
> But whatever the case may be, suffice it to say I've reproduced your
> issue on my Win7 64bit box, and then resolved it by installing the
> PyWin32 modules.   It's probably a good idea to install this package
> anyway -- if you're working on Windows the PyWin32 modules are very
> useful - they basically wrap and makes available a shedload of Windows
> specific API's to Python. (Many people working with Python on Windows
> almost automatically would install this, it's also why i didn't run into
> this issue in the first place as I already had PyWin32 installed prior
> to testing my suggestion. Sorry.)
>
> Anyway.  To download and install PyWin32, go here: http://ur.ly/vLwv
>
> Presumably you want the AMD64 (64 bit) Py2.7 version.   Install it then
> try your test again.
>
> Fingers crossed. ;)
>
> Walter

Hi, Walter -

I got pywin32-214.win32-py2.7.exe because I have the Intel i7 (I'm
guessing that the AMD versions are for the AMD processor). However, all
of the exe offerings have the same "Python not found in registry"
problem that started this whole thing.

So, since the only source module available is pywin32-214.zip, I got it
and installed it. It does not work, maybe because I'm using Python 2.7
and the zip is for 3.2.

I really appreciate all the time you have put into my problems, Walter.
Thank you.

Cheers,
John