[Tutor] Help with Object Oriented Programming

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 30 21:21:57 CEST 2010

"Tino Dai" <oberoc at gmail.com> wrote

>       I'm beefing up my Object-Oriented Analysis and Design -
> getting
> the gaps in my
> knowledge filled in through the Head First OOAD book

I don't know it although I've seen a couple of others in the series.

My recommendations for general OOAD books are:

Timothy Budd - OOP. It's not Python but covers the basic principles
well.

Grady Booch - OOAD - The second edition is all in C++, The first
edition, if you can find one,
is in 5 different langiages and IMHO much better for it. It stops you
focusing on the
language and helps focus on the OO principles.

Bruce Eckel - Thinking in Java - One of the very few books on Java
that does a good
job of teaching OO. He was going to do a Thinking in Python but I
think it died :-(

And finally the original Design Patterns book by the Gang of Four. Its
a bit heavy
but the information is excellent.

HTH,

--