[Tutor] box drawing characters

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 18 10:15:13 CEST 2010

"Bill Allen" <wallenpb at gmail.com> wrote
>> I want to be able to create some user interfaces, similar to what
>> you see
> in console based programs like Midnight Commander or other TUI type
> programs
> that use box drawing characters to create a user interfaces for
> input and
> display of information.

This is OK and you can use curses on Linux/Unix systems and something
like Conio on Windows, but....

> However, I do want them to be portable to most
> platforms that Python will run on.

This is much more difficult. Terminals are non portable and neither
of the libraries above work on the other system. You would probably
have to build your UI twice. This is one area where real GUIs work
better than a terminal.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld