[Tutor] Using Django with TortoiseSVN (overwriting files)

Evert Rol evert.rol at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 10:54:38 CEST 2010

> We have a project at work where myself and a co-developer are setting up Django. Our version control software of choice is TortoiseSVN.
>
> When doing a project update from SVN, it pulls the server version to the local project. When checking code in, it overwrites the server version of the code as expected.
>
> I wish to find out whether Django would work happily this way, as it requires one to use the django-admin.py tool to create projects and apps. Would overwriting these files/ directories with server versions compromise their integrity in a Django setup?

That's not a Python question, more a Django question or a system-admin question. You'd be better off using the correct mailing list for that.

That said, you should be fine, providing you re-sync the databases every time you 'svn up', to keep your model schema's in the database in sync (you can use fixtures to sync data in the database). Also the settings files may differ on the server or the local machines; it's best to keep those out of SVN, or have a little if-else clause in settings.py that takes care server-dependent settings.
Otherwise, all your code can (and should) be machine/server agnostic, and thus easily transportable.

  Evert