[Tutor] problem loading and array from an external file

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 16:59:10 CEST 2010

On 8/10/2010 10:42 AM, Bill Allen wrote:
> Bob,
>
> I was really off on that algorithm and had way over complicated it.
> I have it working correctly now, but for the sake of those who saw my
> earlier really botched code, here is the resultant code that works.
> The entire inner loop and intermediate variables are removed, but
> shown commented out.  I had somehow thought I needed to read each
> member of each subarray in individually.  That was not the case and
> that inner loop was overwriting the array.
>
> # reads one line at a time from file and puts data into array
>      for line in textf:
>          #tempwords = line.split(None)
>          #for n in range(0, len(room)-1):
>          #    roomx[n] = tempwords[n]
>          #room[m] = roomx
>          room[m] = line.split(None)
>          m += 1

Great. Good work. Teach a man to fish?

Now for the refinements. First you can use enumerate to obtain the room

     for m, line in enumerate(textf):
         room[m] = line.split(None)

Second you can start with an empty list and append:

     rooms = []
     for line in textf:
         rooms.append(line.split(None))

Third you can use list comprehension:

     rooms = [line.split(None) for line in textf]

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239