[Tutor] Question about strings

Daniel asmosis.asterix at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 18:02:01 CEST 2010

Hi, I'm trying to solve an exercise, a beginners one but I have a question.
So the exercise sounds like this:

Define a string s = ’colorless’. Write a Python statement that changes this
to ’colour-
less’, using only the slice and concatenation operations.

So I did wrote this:

*1)s = 'colorless'
2)ss = s[:4] + 'u' + s[4:]
3)print(ss)

*I do not understand something. So on the second line, the slicing
lasts from the start of the s string to the forth character. But from
were
does the counting start? 0 or 1? From this code it's obvious that it
starts from one, but how, strings counting doesn't start from 0? If I
do
len(s) i get 9 but if I do s[9] I get an error, out of range. Can
please someone clear me this indexing thing? It's so frustrating and
confusing.
*
*