[Tutor] web-based python?

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 20:28:42 CEST 2010

On 8/1/10, bob gailer <bgailer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/1/2010 1:07 PM, Alex Hall wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have an IPowerWeb.com server, which claims to support Python. How
>> would I use this? For example, to start, how would I print html code
>> to the screen, or manage input from a form? Thanks.
> Another participant just raised a similar question!
>
> Unfortunately IPowerWeb.com does not "provide support for custom code or
> custom scripts. We assume that if a customer wants to use Perl, CGI,
> PHP, Python, ASP or any other scripting language, he/she has the
> necessary programming skills to manage his/her scripts."
Sure, but django would be quite helpful. I want to do more than just
print, the point is to be able to handle form input, resize/position
images, all that. Still, it is good to not have to go through the
hastle of getting a straight answer from an iPowerWeb tech support
person. Last time I asked them about my htaccess file they deleted it!

> A starting place is the following script - let's call it "test.py".
> Upload it then invoke it. Try http://url-to-your-site/test.py
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
Is this line necessary? I ask because, on Windows, it is ignored, and
I do not know the path to the server's Python interpreter even if it
is required.
> print "Content-type: text/html"
> print
> print "<html><head>"
> print "<title>Hello World from Python</title>"
> print "</head><body>"
> print "Standard Hello World from a Python CGI Script"
> print "</body></html>
Thanks. I assume all built-in functions will work. Would I be able to
upload and use packages?

> --
> Bob Gailer
> 919-636-4239