[Tutor] Help with Import Error problems

Roy Khristopher Bayot roybayot at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 16:20:13 CEST 2010

Hi. Good day.

I am having an import error problem. Last week, I was following this site:
http://sites.google.com/site/spatialpython/processing-aster-with-python-numpy-and-gdal.
was able to make the python script run on the terminal. But this week, it
was throwing some error.

This was the traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "aster_convert.py", line 2, in <module>
    from osgeo import gdal
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/osgeo/__init__.py", line 21, in
<module>
    _gdal = swig_import_helper()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/osgeo/__init__.py", line 17, in
swig_import_helper
    _mod = imp.load_module('_gdal', fp, pathname, description)
ImportError: /usr/lib/libspatialite.so.2: undefined symbol: GEOSSimplify

I tried google-ing for the ImportError but the results dont make sense. It
was working last week. I might have installed something that "broke" it but
I dont know how to trace it back.

Could I ask for some pointers on how to fix this?

Thank you.

Roy

P.S. I dont know if this is the right list to post this. If it isnt, I'm
sorry for the inconvenience. Kindly direct me to the right one.