[Tutor] Raw string

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 19 00:46:15 CEST 2010

"Neven Gorsic" <neven.gorsic at gmail.com> wrote

> When I get file path from DirDialog, I get in a (path) variable.
> Sometimes that string (path) contains special escape sequences, such as \x,
> \r and so on.
>
>             'C:\Python25\Programs\rating'
>
> When I try to open that file (whose name contains escape sequences) it
> doesn't work.

That sounds like a bug in DirDialog since I would expect it to return a
properly constructed, platform specific path! Are you sure it doesn't?
What is the len() of the string? The above should return 27 not 24...

> I know that raw string marker 'r' in front of string leaves char '\' as
> character and not as start of escape sequences,
> but I can not apply it to a variable name which contains file path.

You can only apply it to literal strings not variables , regardless of
what the variable points to.

> Is there a function with same effect as raw string marker, as my problem
> must be solved differently?

You might get some help from the os.path library functions. But to be
honest I can't see anything obvious... You might have to resort to
character by character replacement...

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld