[Tutor] Loop comparison

Ark cloudneozero at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 08:50:58 CEST 2010

Hi everyone.
A friend of mine suggested me to do the next experiment in python and Java.

It's a simple program to sum all the numbers from 0 to 1000000000.

result = i = 0
while i < 1000000000:
    result += i
    i += 1
print result

The time for this calculations was huge.  It took a long time to give
the result.  But, the corresponding program in Java takes less than 1
second to end.  And if in Java, we make a simple type check per cycle,
it does not take more than 10 seconds in the same machine.  I was not
expecting Python to be faster than Java, but it''s too slow.  Maybe
Java optimizes this case and Python doesn't.  Not sure about this.}

Thanks
ark