[Tutor] Matching zipcode in address file

TGW galaxywatcher at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 08:51:47 CEST 2010

> I'd suggest reading the data from the match_zips into a list, and if
> the format isn't correct, doing some post-processing on it.  But
> there's no way to advise on that since we weren't given the format
> of either file.
>
> zipdata = match_zips.readlines()
> Then you can do an      if XXX in zipdata with assurance.

Here is a simplified version of the program:
#!/usr/bin/env python

def main():
      infile = open("filex")
      outfile = open("results_testx", "w")
      zips = open("zippys")
      match_zips = zips.readlines()
      results = [line for line in infile if line[0:2] in match_zips]
      outfile.write(''.join(results))

      zips.close()
      infile.close()
      outfile.close()
main()

filex:
112332424
23423423423
34523423423
456234234234
234234234234
5672342342
67824242

zippys:
567
678
555

I want to output the lines in filex that match the the first 3 chars
of zippys.

output:
5672342342
67824242