[Tutor] Confusion with $PATH

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 25 23:17:57 CEST 2009

"David Eric" <ciik13 at gmail.com> wrote

> I installed a few versions of python and ended up with a very long PATH

Leave it be. Long paths will not cause a proble,m. FWIW My Path is
at least twice as long as that! :-)

> window....i moved it into /Library and says file not found..
> any advice?

Move it into a folder in your PATH. /Library is not in your path,
although several subfolders of it are:

> THe following is what comes up for PATH

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.1/bin:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.0/bin:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:
/usr/bin:
/bin:
/usr/sbin:
/sbin:
/usr/local/bin:
/usr/X11/bin

I would probably put your program in /usr/local/bin. That's the traditional
place for home grown apps in the Unix world. If you like you could just
create
an alias (or link in Unix spean) to your file from /usr/local/bin...

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site