[Tutor] calling a superclass method after overriding it

Serdar Tumgoren zstumgoren at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 20:20:49 CEST 2009

> I prefer the older approach too, it is simple and explicit. super()
> comes with a raft of complications (google "super considered harmful")
> and AFAIK it is only really needed in the case of "diamond"
> inheritance.

The explicit method does indeed seem...well...more explicit and easier
to understand. But I thought I'd also read someplace that you
shouldn't combine old and new methods. That you should pick one and
stick with it, because otherwise you could run into MRO problems.

Is my case isolated enough here that I could use the old syntax, but
leave my remain usages of super in tact? My worry is that I'd have to
convert all of my subclasses (quite a few at this point) to the
old-style...