[Tutor] Image manipluation (On-the-fly thumbnail creation)

dan06 dan.king106 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 18 21:19:29 CEST 2009

Patrick Sabin wrote:

> When I needed thumbnails of my images, I created them using ImageMagick.
>   ImageMagick is a very nice tool for editing images and since it is
> called from the command line it is easy to invoke it from a programming
> language. There are python-bindings for it, but I think they are not
> very actively maintained and so I wouldn't use them.
>
> Using PIL is another option and maybe more pythonic, but if you are
> familiar with ImageMagick it might be a good alternative.
>
> - Patrick

My experiences with ImageMagick (IM) are limited, but what experiences I
have had have been good. The functionality of IM is superb, and that is the
impetus for wanting to use it over other softwares/libraries. Ultimately, I
want to use IM/Python to replicate something I did in GD/PHP. Using GD/PHP I
was able to create thumbnails on-demand that I could output directly to the
browser, rather than creating & saving thumbnails to the disk. Is this
possible with IM/Python?